Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Home

April 6, 2011 Home

I am home back in Minnesota with all the comforts of home, but my heart aches. Something is missing, it seems I left my heart with the children of Haiti. I took my dog for a walk today and as I was walking I was thinking there are no children to scoop up and love. I can’t walk the few short blocks to Mother Theresa’s to comfort the children who are hurting. The children of Haiti brought so much joy to my heart with their sweet smiles and all the love they give to perfect strangers. I go to make a differnce in their lives but in the end they make an even bigger diffence in mine.

As I reflect back on my trip it is hard to put into words the expriences I had while I was in Haiti, hard to explain everything I felt. I had so much hope and excitement on this trip, so much more than I ever expected as I prepared to go back. The expirience of coming back to this familiar place that I already loved made every minute so much more fufilling. I was able to see everything in a whole new light! On my first trip I spent time trying to figure out what I should be doing, wondering if I was really making a difference, and wondering if I should be giving them something more than love when they needed so much. This trip I was confident I was there because God had sent me to LOVE his beautiful Hatian people! It felt so good to know my purpose in Haiti and look for ways to give more and love more. I was able to see that when I visit Citi Soli I am showing God’s love and water that they might not receive otherwise. It’s about putting God first, others second, and myself last. This trip wasn’t about me but yet even still I received so much. I was able to see children I had seen just nine months earlier. They had grown and changed in so much in just a few short months. I saw so much beauty I saw all around me; from the green mountains, the beautiful people, the eyes of the adorible children, the laughter of a sick child, the people out clearing debrea from the earthquake. It was all so exciting to me!

My first trip I drove through Port Au Prince and saw tragedy and destruction. Now I see hope, progress, and restoration. I see it in the people too and that gives me so much happiness, hope, and joy. I can only imagine what it will be like when I go back again to this amazing plae! I go there to Haiti give, but I return with so much more than I gave. God is so good, I am so thankful he gave me Haiti. I pray that he will continue to give me opportunities to love those around me and that he will help me to shine his light in all I do until I can go back again.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment